Baruch 2028: Unstoppable
In Spring 2022, Baruch College, under the leadership of President S. David Wu, launched a major strategic planning effort to define our collective vision for the future. This thorough process revealed a deep sense of commitment and enthusiasm across our community as we came together, collaboratively, to share our thoughts and perspectives on the current state of affairs at Baruch, and how we can continue to make ourselves better.
We came away with an expanded appreciation for Baruch as a place of opportunity and exploration for all members of our community. We grew our appreciation, and aspirations, for Baruch’s role as a national model for access and excellence—leveraging the dynamism of New York City and our steadfast commitment to innovative teaching, research, and collaboration to make a transformative impact on our world.
The Strategic Plan 2023–28 builds from some of Baruch College’s most striking characteristics: we serve the underserved, we compete with the very best in the world, and we do so through caring, collaboration, and creativity. Now is the time for us to accentuate the essence of what we do—an institution that creates opportunities, demands excellence, and delivers outcomes. Baruch is a truly remarkable institution that stands out as a national model for higher education.
Baruch College is a place of opportunity and exploration where students, faculty, and staff transform their futures, their professions, and their communities. In the heart of New York City, our diverse and inclusive community is driven by learning, innovative knowledge creation, and intellectual discovery for local and global impact.
Baruch College will be a national model for access and excellence, where ambitions are realized. Leveraging the dynamism of New York City and our steadfast commitment to innovative teaching, research, and collaboration, we will create life-changing experiences for our students, faculty, and staff to make transformative impact on our world.
These are foundational elements that align across and support each individual strategic priority area. We will achieve the vision for each priority area through advancing these intersecting themes.
Support our diverse community by listening actively so as to implement principles of inclusion and equity across all priority areas.
Strengthen communication while expanding our reputational footprint to include all three schools, research and scholarly endeavors, and expanded social impact.
Our Five Values
We advance partnerships within and beyond the campus community, bring together diverse perspectives, and maximize interdisciplinary teaching and research.
We lead with integrity, quality, and rigor in our academic, social, and professional pursuits.
We create opportunities for our students, faculty, and staff to make positive change to affect their futures, professions, communities, and society.
We foster a community of belonging, embracing people with diverse perspectives, identities, and backgrounds.
We are change agents dedicated to advancing knowledge, expanding understanding, and deploying creativity to solve problems.
Our Strategic Priorities
Increase access to excellence and empower all students to succeed. Our commitment to student success is unwavering. We know their potential to succeed is undeniable. Their success is our success and that potential drives what we do.
- Provide learning opportunities that are flexible, dynamic, experiential, and connected to New York City
- Optimize student success infrastructure to be more nimble and effective through integrated technology, streamlined advising, and peer mentoring
- Create structures for cross-campus collaboration on student support
- Close equity gaps for all students both in-person and online
- Provide effective, accessible communication for students
- Develop a culture where student success is everyone’s responsibility
Foster teaching and research symbiotically to achieve local and global impact. Research, creativity, and innovative teaching never stop. Together, they generate an energy that keeps us on the forefront of knowledge creation that propels our students and faculty forward.
- Support excellent, innovative, and high- impact research, scholarship, and creative work
- Recognize, support, and incentivize excellent, accessible, and inclusive pedagogy
- Significantly increase undergraduate and graduate student involvement in research
- Integrate sustainability and social justice within and across teaching and research
- Elevate our reputation for research and scholarship nationally and internationally
Cultivate a thriving campus community where students, staff, and faculty feel a sense of belonging and experience opportunities for connection and growth. Here, every voice is heard and amplified. This is where everything connects. We care, respect, and support our diverse community through active listening and mindful integration of inclusion and equity principles across all priority areas.
- Cultivate a respectful and collaborative campus culture that embraces wellness and growth so that students, staff, and faculty thrive together
- Create vibrant community-building events and opportunities to foster a sense of belonging and interconnectedness
- Revise and improve shared governance and decision-making, including the integration of staff representation
- Enhance hiring, onboarding, and new-employee experiences
- Strengthen communication and engagement with all constituencies
Enhance operational and fiscal effectiveness, while improving physical and information infrastructure to meet growing needs of the community. Here, all we do is go. To continue to propel our vibrant community forward and reach its full potential, our commitment to strengthening our infrastructure is unshakable. We need this to do everything we do, better.
- Promote fiscal sustainability through activity-based budgeting, a significant capital campaign, and endowment growth
- Improve physical infrastructure, including classroom, labs, and community spaces for students, faculty, and staff to learn, connect, collaborate, and innovate
- Strengthen transparency and understanding of budget and planning processes
- Leverage data for decision-making strategically, sustainably, and ethically
- Invest in digital infrastructure to increase efficiency, improve processes, and reduce administrative burden
- Exercise robust future planning responsive to uncertainties and externalities